Vegetarian?

Vegetarian? what? Who me? No....I'm def. not a pyscho tree hugging hippie who says save the whales, kill the babies...ok maybe that was a little extreme.... It's just that I'm not really one of those kind of girls who is a fanatic animal rights activist...or is into sacrificing normality to save mother earth. I love make-up, and hairspray and all kinds of glittery things that aren't really great for the green-hood of the planet....However, I have converted to the dark side. I am a newlyveg. (ha ha get it newlywed) ok that was corny. Any way I read an exerpt from the book Mad Cowboy by Howard Lyman...which sparked my interest and really made me do some research, and BELIEVE me, for a girl like me to stop eating meat and use (90%) organic products, something has to be Wrong... So what is so horrible that would make a regular prima donna like me change her ways?? Your going to want to read this.
"Sure, I used to enjoy my steaks as much as the next guy," writes Lyman. "But if you knew what I know about what goes into them and what they can do to you, you'd probably be a vegetarian like me."
 Cattle ranchers turned cows into cannibals. It remains legal to feed cows "rendered" -- dead and ground up-- parts of certain animals, including the blood of other cows.
(FYI cows are HERBIVORES)
In an effort to prevent disease, Howard lyman, like other ranchers, fed his cows antibiotics even before they became ill.

A former cattle rancher-turned-vegetarian and food safety activist, in 1996, Lyman revealed, to a national television audience, how the cattle industry potentially exposed Americans to mad cowboy by feeding cows the remains of live animals - including other cows. As a result of his remarks, Lyman was named a co-defendant with Oprah Winfrey in the infamous "veggie Libel" case brought by Texas ranchers in Amarillo.

To increase their profits, ranchers also routinely fed growth hormones to cattle within two weeks of their slaughter, despite a government ban on the practice. 

He sprayed his feedlot with insecticides which would then fall into the cattle's food and water -- and eventually become part of someone's dinner. Ranchers relentlessly used growth hormones, particularly DES, which they stockpiled when it was banned. 

Soo in short, cattle and dairy farmers use tons of chemicals, antiobiotics, horomones, insecticide, and pesticide. These chemicals are ingested or taken in through the animals skin, all eventually ending up in the hamburger we eat for dinner. These chemicals are supposedly regulated by the "FDA". That is kind of like having a restaurant owner do health inspections on his own restaurant. Of course the farmers are protected when the FDA has interest in the meat industry. The government make billions of dollars a year simply off the advertisement of meat! Maybe your not ready to convert but hopefully this post will help you be more aware of the meat you are eating!






2 comments:

bailey said...

imagine me* grossed out!!!

Brittany said...

ha ha GO VEGGIES!